With all of its functions, smartphones are luxurious in addition to being expensive. This explains why thieves adore taking smartphones, especially high-end versions. Phone theft is increasing at an alarming rate. You can disable or even trace your phone if it is lost or stolen, as one of the procedures demonstrates.
Thankfully, you may use a number of techniques to disable an Android phone that has been stolen by using its specific IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number. We’ll go over each of these approaches in-depth and provide you step-by-step directions on how to block an Android phone that has been stolen in this blog post. This will protect your personal information and stop anyone from abusing it.
Before we go into how to block an Android phone that has been stolen, let’s talk about what you will need to do to make the procedures work. To use the IMEI to disable a stolen Android phone, you will need:
- Your stolen phone’s IMEI number: Every mobile device is given an IMEI, which is a unique identification number. Usually, you may locate it by calling *#06# on your device or by looking at the original packing of your phone.
- Availability of a computer or other mobile device with an internet connection — In order to block your stolen or lost phone, you must visit particular websites or utilize applications designed for mobile devices.
Get TikTok SEO Cheat here
What do you do when you lose your phone?
There are numerous things that can be done when your phone has been stolen. The best options have been enumerated below and answer this question of what to do when the phone is lost.
Read also: Top 10 Vehicle Insurance company in Nig
1. How to block stolen/lost phone via IMEI Database
Do you know you can block your stolen mobile device when it is lost or stolen via the IMEI? What is IMEI? It is known as International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number. Which is a unique identification or serial number that all mobile phones and smartphones have. It is normally 15 digits long. The IMEI number can be found on the silver sticker on the back of your phone, under the battery pack, or on the box, your phone came in.
You must note that every mobile device has its IMEI code. IMEI and SIM are two different entities and even if a thieve takes the SIM out or replaces it with his own card, the IMEI remains the same. You must be asking how can i use this method to block a stolen phone if I do not have it?
How to check IMEI?
You can find the IMEI by dialing a short number *#06#. It can also be printed inside the battery compartment of the phone.
Also, the international mobile equipment identity number is written on the pack or box of the original gadget. – Ensure to keep the boxes for all new phones you purchase, or for fairly used, remember to ask for the pack just in case.
Also, do not worry if you do not have IMEI because below there is a method on how to block a phone without IMEI. Note, it is usually completely free for the device owner to request its remote blocking.
How to block stolen/lost phone via IMEI Database
By submitting the theft and IMEI number to an IMEI database, you can also disable an Android phone that has been stolen. By keeping track of stolen devices, these databases aid in preventing unauthorized users from activating them. Here’s how to use an IMEI database to disable your stolen Android phone:
- Check out the IMEI Database website (https://www.gsma.com/blacklist/), which is one example of an IMEI database website.
- Once the IMEI number of your stolen or lost phone has been entered, click the “Search” or “Check” option.
- Use the website’s instructions to report theft and block the phone if its IMEI number is listed as stolen in the database.
- As requested by the IMEI database, supply any relevant data, such as the police report number or proof of ownership.
- To make sure your stolen phone stays blocked, check its status in the IMEI database.
Advantages to Block Stolen Android Phone via IMEI Database
- Provides an additional degree of security to stop unauthorized users from activating the stolen or lost phone.
- Law enforcement organizations and cell service providers both frequently use and recognize IMEI databases.
- Promotes the likelihood that the stolen or lost phone will be found and given back to its original owner.
Disadvantages to Block Stolen Android Phone via IMEI Database
- Prevents the stolen phone from being activated on networks that are approved rather than physically blocking it.
- Networks that don’t verify the IMEI database can nevertheless allow users to use the pilfered phone.
- Needs to be checked on frequently to make sure the blocked device’s status is current.
3. Other Ways to block stolen phone:
Use police to track phone
Visit your closest police office in Nigeria (applicable to anywhere in the world) and file a report about stolen or missing mobile devices. Provide the police with your IMEI number so that they can try to track and locate it for you. Sometimes, however, it is impossible to trace lost and stolen gadgets. If tracking and location of a phone are impossible even with the help of police, this second method is helpful too.
Use mobile Operator to block Device
Contact your mobile operator customer service and tell them your phone is lost or stolen and needs to be blocked by IMEI code. Your carrier will ask for a copy of a police report and your information. Provide the documents and your gadget will be distantly blocked by your operator. Such blocked gadgets can never be used with any other network again since carriers share a database of blocked devices. Besides, whoever finds or has your lost device won’t be able to access your financial details and personal information.
4. How to Block Stolen Android Phone via Third-Party Anti-Theft Apps
For Android smartphones that there are a number of third-party anti-theft apps that provide extra functionality for tracking down, locking down, and blocking stolen phones. A few of the functions that these apps frequently offer are remote tracking, taking pictures of possible thieves, and setting off an alarm on the stolen gadget. Here is a basic rundown of how to use a third-party anti-theft application to disable a stolen phone, however the specific processes may differ according on the app you choose:
- Install a trustworthy anti-theft app from the Google Play Store, such Cerberus, Prey, or Family Safety Production’s Find My Device.
- To set up the required permissions and set up an account on your Android phone, follow the app’s instructions.
- If the phone is stolen, you can follow its whereabouts by visiting the app’s website or using an additional device that has the app installed.
- Make use of the features of the app to remotely lock the lost phone, record a personalized message, and, if need, remove all data.
- To better secure your stolen Android phone, adhere to any extra instructions or features offered by the anti-theft app of your choice.
5. Using Find My Device for an Android to block phone
- From your web browser on PC or mobile device, visit https://www.google.com/android/find in your browser.
2. Log in to the website with your Google account. Enter the email address and password for the Google account that was on the Android device you want to lock.
- Skip this If you are already logged into the Google account associated with your Android phone.
3. Locate the phone icons which is in the upper-left corner of the webpage. Click the icon for the phone that you want to lockdown.
4. Click Secure Device. It’s the second tab in the left sidebar menu on the webpage (for mobile see image). Doing so opens two text boxes below the “Secure Device” header.
5. Type a message that will display on the lock screen while your phone is locked. This is optional but recommended.
- For instance, this could be “This phone has been lost. Please contact me.” as a recovery message.
6. Type a recovery phone number in the “Phone number” text box that will be displayed on the phone screen. Be sure to type a phone number you can be reached at.
- This step is optional but recommended.
7. Click Secure Device. This will place your Android under a lock, making it nearly impossible for someone to break into it or access your data.
- Click Security Checkup to review recent activity on your phone.
- If you find your phone, you can unlock it using the passcode you use to unlock your phone.
8. Delete all files. You can erase everything on your device. To erase your Android phone, use the following steps:
- Click Erase Device in the sidebar menu to the left.
- Click the green button that says Erase Device.
- Enter your Google password, if prompted.
- Click Erase in the pop-up.
6. How to block lost/stolen Apple Iphone?
If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch is lost or stolen
- Sign in to iCloud.com/find on the web or use the Find My app on another Apple device.
- Find your device.
- Mark As Lost.
- Report your lost or stolen device to local law enforcement.
- If your missing device is covered by AppleCare+ with Theft and Loss, you can file a claim for your lost or stolen iPhone.
- Erase your device.
You can get full details on how to block your stolen iPhone by clicking here
Why Can’t I Block Stolen Android Phone?
You may be having trouble disabling your Android phone that was stolen for a number of reasons. The following are some typical causes and the corresponding remedies:
- Loss of IMEI number: You might attempt to get your mobile service provider to furnish you with the IMEI number if you are unable to find it. Perhaps it is in their files.
- Inaccurate IMEI data – Verify that the IMEI number you submitted is accurate by checking it twice. The stolen phone cannot be successfully blocked if the IMEI number is entered incorrectly.
- Slow action – When it comes to disabling an Android phone that has been stolen, time is of the importance. If you wait, the thief might have plenty of time to disable or get around any attempts to block or track the phone
You can block your stolen phone with any of the methods above. This usually takes up to 48 hours. Such blocked gadget won’t be accessible through any other mobile network, so whoever has your device won’t be able to use it as it becomes brick and useless.
In some cases, authorized phone users with legit insurance on their devices can request a device replacement. It would cost you some money, but you will end up with a new replacement for the phone.
The methods explained here on how to block any stolen phone can be used anywhere in the world. Did you find this article helpful? kindly share. We suffered a serious cyber problem that led to the loss of all data and we trying to come back and we need your support to share and love us.
Are you looking for how to block a stolen phone with an IMEI number in Pakistan? or looking for how to block a stolen phone with an IMEI number in the USA? The same step above is applicable
Are you Looking for any of the following: